As Halloween fast approaches here are some healthy tips to keep cavities away and protect your child’s smile happy and health. The Canadian Dental Association (CDA) recommends taking these simple steps:
* Limit the number of times a day your child eats sugary treats or snacks between meals. Serve snacks that will not harm your child’s teeth, such as vegetables, cheese, nuts or seeds.
* It is best to eat sugary treats at the end of mealtime while there is still plenty of saliva in the mouth. Saliva helps to wash away the sugars and acids.
* Drinking a glass of water after eating a sugary treat will also help wash away some of the sugars and acids.
* Avoid soft, sticky treats that get stuck between teeth.
* Always have your child brush and floss before going to bed.
For more information on healthy halloween tips be sure to visit CDA.