How well you brush your teeth is more important than how often you brush. Remember it’s the spots you miss where the problems start. Here’s five tips to improve your brushing:
- Take the time to carefully and gently clean each tooth, ideally twice a day. The average person brushes for less than 35 seconds. A good brushing takes at least two to three minutes. Quick Tip: Keep brushing for as long as a song.
- Be gentle, particularly when cleaning where the gums meet the teeth. Hold the brush at a 45-degree angle to the gumline, and gently work the bristles back and forth using short strokes. Don’t forget to brush your tongue, too.
- Use a soft toothbrush which is less likely to damage your teeth and gums. Choose a size and shape that enables you to easily reach every tooth.
- Be sure to change your toothbrush frequently. Every three months is recommended; more often if you’ve been ill. Quick Tip: New season – New toothbrush.
- Remember to floss too, since no amount of careful brushing, can clean between your teeth!
Information as per the Ontario Dental Association.